Basic maintenance of motorcycle helmets
- By:Turkey Trade
Maintaining your motorcycle helmet is important to ensure it provides the maximum level of protection in the event of an accident. Here are some basic maintenance tips for your motorcycle helmet:
1. Cleaning: Use a mild soap and water to clean the helmet's shell, and a soft cloth or sponge to gently scrub away dirt and grime. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or solvents, as these can damage the helmet's finish.
2. Drying: Allow the helmet to air dry completely, away from direct sunlight or heat sources. Do not use a hair dryer or other heat source to speed up the drying process, as this can damage the helmet.
3. Visor cleaning: Clean the helmet's visor with a soft, damp cloth. Do not use harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners, as these can scratch the visor and impair visibility.
4. Storage: Store the helmet in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight and heat sources. Avoid hanging the helmet by its chin strap, as this can cause the lining to compress and reduce its effectiveness.
5. Replacement: Replace the helmet if it has been involved in a crash, or if it is more than 5 years old. The materials used in the helmet can degrade over time, even if it has not been involved in an accident.